Saturday, January 3, 2009

The New Year in Deutschland!

So, the New Year has arrived, with a bang I might add, here in Deutschland. They sure do love their fireworks!!! I spent my NYE writing my dissertation until 0200 as my cat, Little Boy, slept next to me. At least he could sleep through the hullabaloo, but I couldn't so I figured I'd at least be productive, lol. It was a nice, quiet (theoretically), productive evening! But what, you might ask, have I been up to lately? So many things...

My job is the best! I work with so many nice people. My bosses (the colonels) are nice, my staff (all seven of them) are nice. They all say I'm doing a good job as the adjutant and that I'm a good boss, so I can't complain! I have to say that this job is waaaay easier than being a teacher ever was, and way less stressful. I still say teachers are paid far too little for the service they provide our great nation! Not to mention the amount of schooling they're required to have! OK, no soapboxes... Pretty much I make sure Soldiers have what they need to allow them to progress in their careers. Our office processes awards, retirements, promotions, *some* pay issues, evaluations, actions (things like shortening or lengthening your assignments, requesting schools, etc). So basically if you really want to screw with someone, this is the job where you could really hurt them! No that I would...

As for travelling, I've been burning up the roads! My friend, Melissa, is still holding most of the pictures hostage, so I'm waiting on those (I just need to get better at bringing my own camera). But I've gone to France again to participate in a couple World War celebrations. It was very interesting to see the places the history books speak of, like Argonnes and where SGT York captured a bunch of German prisoners. The American military cemetary there was absolutely beautiful! And the French people absolutely loved us! They were so nice. One little old man even gave me a bottle of champagne from his personal vineyard!!!!
Melissa and I have gone to Amsterdam twice. The Reich Museum there has Delft pottery (yes, I need to buy some!) and paintings by Vermeer and Rembrandt, two of my favorite artists, who are both from the Netherlands. The Red Light District is very interesting to say the least, lol. We also got to see a windmill while we were there. It was just like in the books!

We've also done a bit of castle exploration. We started with a USO boat tour down the Rhine, where we stopped at Ste. Goar Castle and Rudesheim, a little village on the Rhine. We also went to a wine festival at Cochem Castle on the Mosel River. We were able to take a guided tour of that castle to see the inside, and it was really beautiful. We went to Heidelberg Castle, which is only 20 minutes from Mannheim and walked through the old part of the town, which looked like a fairy tale book. Cobblestone streets and fachwerk (half-timbered) homes are common here. Germans also love to garden, so in the Summer and Spring it's really pretty!

For Thanksgiving, I got to go to Rome to visit my sister, her hubby, and my two super-cutie nephews. That was such a nice relaxing trip! I was so happy to see them, too. The babies are getting so big and my oldest nephew loves his Auntie Bean! The little one didn't remember me at first but then he couldn't get enough. He is such a cutie too. Such a little ham! It was awesome hanging out with them.
I went to two Christmas markets (Weinnachtmarkts): one here in Mannheim and one in Rudesheim (I took the kids from the office b/c most of them never venture out). We drank gluhwein, which is mulled wine, and walked around. I bought a really pretty wreath for my door and a Christmas tree stand. Next year, I'll even get a tree! lol

We've gone antique shopping; I bought a really lovely old armoire for my bedroom, since my apt. doesn't have a single closet!! Typical Germany! And there's even a regular mall five minutes from the Post. So, life is good. I love the German food, too. Schnitzel isn't exactly my favorite, but I love their Goulash! We've gone to their outdoor, Saturday farmer's market, and the food was so fresh and yummy! Their bread is to die for here, too! If I didn't work out all the time, I'd turn into a cow...
I took a German class for about two months and learned the grammar, but now I need to work on vocabulary, which leads me to my first NY Resolution: To learn German! My second: To finish my dissertation! Which I have started by the way. I told y'all I would!
I love my apt. Most of you got to see pix of it already. If not and you want to, let me know, and I'll hook you up, lol. Hopefully, I'll be buying my Smart Car soon. January is the target month for that. Until then I get to walk a good 15 minutes each morning to work from the strassenbahn (the German street car). It's getting a bit chilly for that here now though. It's already snowed twice. That was interesting! I'm ready for a car! Yes, a Smart Car!!!! =D So, that ismy German adventure in a nutshell to date. I've been to several other places, but these are the highlights. I'll be going to Dublin in February w/ my friend Joelle. Tickets are already purchased. =D And once it warms up Melissa and I want to go see the Tulips in Holland. So we have lots of plans. I'll keep everybody posted, and I'll start taking my own camera!

HUgz, all!
me

No comments:

Post a Comment