Tuesday, April 1, 2008

From Books to Bunkers: A Scholar-Turned-Soldier Story

Where might you find graduates from Yale and Cornell, a Capitol Hill intern,  and conversation concerning the anatomy of a comma splice, the correct pronunciation and etymology of the word "forte," the Christian undertones in Beowulf, or a discussion of the differences between Islam, Christianity and Paganism all in one place? Why, the United States Army, of course! As fantastical as that idea may seem, it has been my own personal experience. If such a possibility had been proposed even to me a mere year ago, I probably would have scoffed at it: Ivy League alumni and erudite conversation about every conceivable topic among the rank and file of the Army? Are you kidding? Fortunately, I have been disabused of such stereotypical beliefs. I discovered since my embarkation upon this journey into the Army Officer Corps that, surprisingly, the Army was to become one of the most multifarious, entertaining, and mentally and physically challenging experiences of my entire life.
My journey began in December 2006 when I took stock of my life (I guess you could say I was having my mid-life crisis) and decided that I wanted a change. I wanted a drastic change. I wanted a new career, I wanted new scenery, and I wanted a new me. The only question that remained was how was I going to accomplish such a feat? I was in the midst of my doctoral degree. In fact, I had just passed my doctoral candidacy exams, and my professors were expecting me to begin the arduous task of researching and writing my dissertation in the very near future. I was comfortably ensconced in an excellent career teaching British Literature to high school seniors.  I had even just bought my first home. Regardless, all of that did not matter. I wanted a change, and I was determined to have it.
After a bit of research online, I hit upon the perfect solution: enlistment in the Army. I discovered that the Army had just increased the age of enlistment from 35 to 42, which I fell under easily at the age of 36, and they were also offering an extremely attractive incentive to officer candidates: College Loan Repayment of up to $65,000! After paying for years of college with someone else’s money, I was in desperate need of a solution to the college loan repayment nightmare. I immediately headed to the nearest recruiter’s office and promptly signed up for the Delayed Entry Program, since I was still on contract with the high school. Although I was a bit apprehensive at the time, I have never looked back.
After finishing out the school year and taking a much needed vacation to Europe last summer, I entered Army Basic Combat Training (BCT), popularly known as boot camp, on September 12, 2007. I was scared to death and anxious that as old as I was, I would never make it. Fortunately for me, my fears were absolutely unfounded. Yes, there were days when I was sore everywhere, days I cried and thought I couldn’t go on, but I persevered and graduated. Immediately upon graduation from BCT, I moved onto my next challenge, Officer Candidate School (OCS), which is more boot camp-like training designed to mould me into an Army Officer. At BCT and OCS, I participated in experiences that I never dreamed of doing, much less that I would actually be able to accomplish them. For example, I repelled off of a 50 foot tower, carried 50lbs of equipment on a ten mile road march, conquered obstacle courses that left me bruised from head to toe, learned to use weapons that the average citizen will never see in real life, much less be allowed to touch, and ran more miles more quickly than I had ever run before in my life. I learned in the Army that the mind really does rule over matter, that "It ain’t trainin’ ’til it’s rainin’," and that water truly does cure just about everything. Ask my Drill Sergeant; he’ll tell you.
One may ask: did I achieve what I set out to do over a year ago? I can say, yes, I absolutely did. I have been assigned to a career branch, Adjutant General, that I feel will lead me into new directions since having my Ph.D. will allow me to become a Brigadier General of my branch in the future; I have been given the opportunity to change my scenery drastically with my first assignment in Germany, and I’ve even gotten a new, 20lb lighter me. Luckily, I was able to make all of these drastic changes without sacrificing much; although, I did sell my home, but that’s alright. I’m still pursuing my doctoral studies, and I’m meeting all sorts of interesting people with whom I enjoy having conversations, as well, which was something I had been concerned about possibly having to sacrifice in the beginning. Speaking of enjoyable conversations with interesting people, did you know that the etymologically correct pronunciation of "forte," as in "That isn’t her forte," sounds like "fort?" I discovered that tidbit of knowledge as I was sitting in the dirt, after not having bathed in eight days, wearing a 35lb IBA (an acronym for a bullet-proof vest) and a Kevlar (helmet), while using a spork to eat an MRE (Meal, Ready-to-Eat, not the choicest of cuisine, mind you,) with my M16 A2 rifle by my side.  Interesting where new knowledge can be learned, isn’t it?

No comments:

Post a Comment