Sunday, December 16, 2007

Officer Candidate Bean Reporting!

So, I'm home from OCS (officer candidate school) for the holidays, woohoo! It has been an interesting few weeks since I finished BCT (basic training). When I arrived at Fort Benning I hung out for a week in kind of a holding pattern until it was time try out for my OCS class. Yes, we had to try out! For whatever reason there were too many people scheduled for this class, so everyone had to compete for their spot.

266 people tried out for only 172 spots, and I made it! I am offically a member of Echo Company! It has been hard and easy all at once; does that make sense? They are really adamant about being a good runner; expecting everyone to have at a minimum a 9-minute mile pace. However, an 8-minute mile pace is preferred, so I'm kind of struggling there since my pace is a measely 9:15. I intend to remedy that over the break, however. Keep your fingers crossed for me. Other than that, it's been pretty easy. I passed my Leadership exam with a 99% even after sleeping through most of the classes and the study periods, lol! "Too easy," as they say in the Army...We've already done a confidence course, almost exactly like the one in BCT; a water survival course, that I almost *didn't* survive to my personal surprise; a 5-mile ruck march; and several 3-5 mile runs. All of this in only two weeks! But I'm hanging in there. The most challenging of all being the running. I guess everyone has their personal challenges when it comes to stuff like this. I'm enjoying seeing what all I can and can't do well. I'm alot stronger in some ways than I thought and then a lot weaker in other ways. Things that I imagined myself being able to do (such as the water survival course) I wasn't so successful at; while the run, though difficult, I'm actually doing better at than I imagined I would. Although, I still have a long way to go with it.

I like the atmosphere of OCS a lot better than that of BCT. The people are much more mature, well-rounded and focused. They've all come for a purpose, and it shows. I've actually had intelligent discussions about religion, politics and eco-conciousness with some of the other OCs (officer candidates)! Amazing! It's really refreshing. Everyone seems to have interesting backgrounds and experiences, too. Some people have really impressive degrees or work histories, too. There are aerospace engineers and scientists on the college-op side, and people as high as master sergeants on the prior service side. There are people who have travelled and it's fun to share my recent European exploits with them and hear theirs as well. So all in all, It's been a really positive experience.

I'm glad I made the decision to join the Army, and I'm actually glad it was the Army as opposed to the Air Force or Navy because it has been more physically demanding than those others would have been. I feel like it is encompassing everything I have been concerned with all my life: exercising and schooling. I've always felt that a well-rounded person should be concerned with both mind and body, and the Army has definitely allowed me to address both. I'm looking forward to discovering my MOS (military job) soon, and hope it will be as challenging as my training has been thus far.

With this change in career I have discovered a more positive and optimistic me. I feel like so many doors are opening for me and I feel so much healthier than I have in *years*. I feel ready for life's surprises and am looking forward to what life brings me next. I began this journey unsure of myself, unhappy with my body, pessimistic about the intentions of others toward me and generally negative and sad. I'm a very different person emotionally and physically than I was a mere four months ago!!! I'm more confident in myself and my future and my ability to succeed in life. It's amazing the influence one change can have over one's outlook and attitude!!! I have always been a believer in following your gut and not being afraid of change and taking chances. I'm glad I took this chance because it has given me a wholly different outlook and opportunities for the future! Life is good!!!! I definitely advise making that change you've always wanted to make and that you've put off because you've secretly been afraid of it...life is too short to be miserable and too precious to have to look back and regret not doing something that you wanted to do. Don't let fear, complacency or what other people might think stifle your dreams. Proceed with caution and be sure to be fully educated but be sure to at least proceed! Happy adventuring!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment