Saturday, May 24, 2008

Another Step Closer

Once again, I'm home from training. On Thursday, I graduated from Basic Officer Leadership Course II (BOLC II) which was basically a review of everything I have learned in both BCT and OCS. I'm actually glad of the review since I feel much more comfortable with the infantry-type training I have thus far received.
Now that is all behind me. On June 1st, I finally begin my branch training, AKA job training. Everyone is required to have a certain amount of infantry training in the Army these days because everyone is pretty much expected to eventually go to Iraq. Even if your job is not infantry per se, no one wants to be another Jessica Lynch if you know what I mean. That was simply an instance of ignorance and poor decision-making at its finest. Thus, everyone is required to be infantry trained nowadays, thank goodness.

Regardless in June, I will move forward to learn all about my "real" job in the Adjutant General Corps. I'm truly looking forward to it because to date, I have had no training in my field, which makes me very nervous considering I will taking up a position of leadership in a mere two and a half months.

What is my field you may ask? Well, it's basically human resources management for the Army. I will oversee all of the paperwork relating to soldiers in my Brigade. I will deal with in- and out-processing, pay issues, awards and honors, promotions, disciplinary actions, casualty processing, etc. All of that behind-the-scenes stuff that soldiers need to make their careers run smoothly. Not terribly exciting stuff, but important nonetheless.

I'll still be required to perform to a certain standard on regular PT tests and maintain qualification with a rifle. Indeed, I may even end up behind the wire in Iraq somewhere, so the physicality of my training will never end. That's a good thing in my opinion. All in all, I think the Army was an excellent choice for me. I'm glad I made the switch.

Now speaking of PT and keeping up with standards, I need to go running.

No comments:

Post a Comment